Thursday 2 May 2013

Twitter Fiction: Creating Imagery


#engchat #twitterfiction #educhat  #writing #creativewriting




Color code the paragraph below to analyse the type of imagery used:


I crept into the room and coughed at the musty, mildewy smell that felt like it was already clogging my throat. I look around. The yellow paint was peeling off the walls in strips and bubbles, exposing the greyish wall beneath. The battered, deep brown wood floors creaked as I stepped farther in. There were stains in several places on the wood, rust-coloured smears.  When I knelt down to examine them more closely, the stains revealed a sharp, metallic, smell. Upon this closer inspection, they appeared to be old blood. Dust webs floated in the air, stirred by the faint breeze I could feel coming in the door behind me. The webs were attached to the ceiling and fixtures somewhere in the unexplained shadows above my head. Save for the groans of the floorboards beneath my feet, there room was deadly hushed. It was like the air smothered sounds and choked the breeze. I saw another door on the other side of the room that was cracked open a few inches.  I couldn't see what was beyond it, or hear if anyone was there. I felt another faint stir of air, this time from that second door this time the draft was accompanied by the overwhelming stench of mice.
 
V=____
A=____
K=____
S=____
T=____

Add an "-" next to imagery that evokes a negative reaction or mood from you as a reader.
Add an "+" next to imagery that evokes a positive reaction of mood.


0 comments: